Dogs are wonderful additions to virtually any family. They’re fiercely loyal and adorable companions.
But one thing most people don’t think about before they get a dog is how their hair can get everywhere. Dog owners around the world know what it’s like to have all their clothes and furniture covered in dog hair.
Carpets and area rugs can also get covered in it. This doesn’t mean that you also can’t enjoy the harmonious decoration an area rug can give to any room, though.
In this guide, we’ve put together a list of some of the best area rugs for dog hair. We’ll also explain to you what makes one better for dog hair than another.
- Which features make a rug more pet-friendly than others.
- Our picks for the best area rugs for dog hair.
- A conclusion with our personal favorite, as well as why we love it.
Features to Consider
When you think of a comfortable area rug, you’re probably thinking of a thick and plush one that you almost sink into as you walk or sit on it. Those are rugs with a high pile height, which means denser fibers that contribute to greater height.
They feel thicker underfoot, but they can also be more difficult to clean. Dirt, crumbs, and even dog hair can get buried in the thick fibers.
So if you’ve got a dog that sheds, you might want to consider a rug with a lower pile height. This will reduce the maintenance necessary for the rug and give the dog hair no place to hide.
Color and Pattern
One thing that will help you conceal dog hair is the area rug’s colors and pattern. The right colors and patterns can make it so you won’t need to vacuum your rug constantly, because any hair left on it will be practically invisible.
Your instinct in this regard might be to immediately go with a dark rug. But when it comes to concealing fur, you’ll want to pick a color that matches more closely to your dog’s fur.
In a nutshell, pick a light rug if your dog has light fur and pick a dark one if your dog has dark fur.
Not all materials are created equally. In the realm of pets, some carpets are a bit better than others, and that’s more likely than not because of what they’re made of.
Some materials are more durable, easier to clean, or even repel allergens. Synthetic fibers like nylon and polypropylene are especially good for these qualities.
Beyond the thickness of the rug, the type of the pile is another aspect to pile that’s important to determine. This isn’t necessarily as much an issue for dog hair, but it’s crucial for pet-friendliness in general.
Looped rugs are not very comfy for your pets. This is because the lopped fibers snag on their claws.
Not only does this cause your pets some discomfort or even pain, but it tears up your area rug. As you look at rugs, make sure you determine that they are not looped.
Best Area Rugs for Dog Hair
There are so many factors that make the Superior Non-Slip Area Rug ideal for a home with dogs. First, its combination of light and dark pattern is fantastic at camouflaging hair, dirt, and other messes.
And of course, the pattern is beautiful, to boot. It has a brightness and warmth with a touch of the natural in its floral motifs.
Another neat quality of this rug is that it’s machine washable. Day-to-day maintenance consists of just some simple spot cleaning and vacuuming, but when there’s a bigger mess, you can just toss it in your washer machine.
This saves you from the hassle of either having to hand-wash the rug yourself, or pay for a potentially expensive dry cleaner.
- Beautiful colors and pattern.
- Comes in a variety of sizes.
- Available in different colors to match different dog fur.
- Machine washable.
- Low pile height for easy maintenance.
- Foam backing prevents your rug from skidding around.
- Some customers have said it does not lay perfectly flat.
Looking for a rug that simply exudes interior designer-quality looks? The Azha Geometric Area Rug, with its chic minimalist pattern, could be the rug of your dreams.
In comes in dark or light gray option, so you’ll be able to conceal light or dark dog hair. Looks aside, this is one long-lasting rug.
Because it’s made of polypropylene, it will resist stains, mold, and mildew. Cleaning will be simple, as all you’ll need to do is spot clean if there’s a spill and vacuum regularly.
- Chic, minimalist design.
- Low pile height to simplify cleaning.
- Resistant to stains, mold, and mildew.
- The material also repels allergens.
- Not a lot of color choices to choose from.
- It’s recommended you purchase a rug pad to make the rug feel thicker and stay in one spot.
If you love the look of flowers, then this Maples Reggie Floral Area Rug is perfect for you. It has an abundance of sunny and vivid flowers throughout its pattern.
The combination of the pattern and dark background makes it ideal for hiding unsightly dark dog hair and dirt, too.
As an added bonus, the nylon material expands its longevity. It will resist fading and daily wear and tear.
Furthermore, it has a sticky latex backing that clings to your floor. You don’t need to spend extra to get a rug pad to keep it in one place.
- The bright floral pattern on a dark background is a breath of fresh air.
- Latex backing will hold it in one place on your floor.
- Low pile height streamlines cleaning and allows you to put it under furniture or doors.
- Easy cleaning, and it’s machine washable.
- Only available in one color combination.
- A few buyers said the colors were less vibrant in person.
This Tyner Damask Area Rug is wonderful for inserting a whimsical air into any room. The light and ornate background looks stunning, and would do a wonderful job of distracting you and your guests from noticing any dog hair.
Made from 100% polypropylene, it’s also sturdy. The material is naturally resistant to occasional spills and mold.
Should your dog accidentally knock a bowl of water over on it, or if you spill, there’s no need to worry. Simply spot clean it with a little water, and this rug will be good to go.
- Simple to clean.
- Gorgeous trellis design.
- Will not stain or mold easily.
- The lighter color might conceal light dog hair better, but may show dirt.
- A few customers noted that it slides around, so you’ll need a non-slip pad underneath it.
Get a warm and earthy tone without vines with Ottomanson’s Paisely Design Area Rug. The paisley pattern draws the eye, and would hide dog fur of all kinds of shades handily.
With a low pile height and bound edges, it’s dependable. You can fit it under furniture or in a doorway without having to worry about it getting snagged on things.
Plus, it has a rubber back. This helps it stick to one designated spot on your floor, so you won’t have to readjust it a lot.
- Cute paisley design.
- Bright and dark colors help to hide dirt, fur, and messes.
- Bound edges and a low pile make it tough.
- Resists stains.
- Easy to clean.
- Rubber packing to prevent it from sliding.
- Some customers said it needs a pad underneath it to prevent it from being warped over time.
Do you like the look of oriental-inspired patterns? Then the London Oriental Area Rug should be near the top of your list.
The ornate and bold pattern against a light backdrop almost looks like a beautiful carving you’d find in a temple. It’s perfect for adding that classic and historic feel to your house.
Beyond that, the pattern is available in three different colors, so you’ll be able to find one that hides your dog’s hair.
- Timeless and classy pattern.
- A few different color combinations.
- Will easily fit beneath furniture or in doorways.
- Resistant to stains, mold, and mildew.
- The material naturally repels allergens.
- Colors can vary slightly from the pictures.
If we had to choose one rug over all the others here, we’d pick the London Oriental Area Rug. We think the pattern is simply stunning, and we love all the positive customer feedback for it.
It’s also a low maintenance rug, with its short pile height and polypropylene material.
Want to know which area rugs we’d recommend for messier pets? Check out our guide to the best options for pet messes.