Are you trying to find the right area rug to rest your home office setup on?
The right area rug can really tie a room together. You decorate every other room in your house, and there’s no reason why a home office shouldn’t be decorated, too.
But there are limitless options out there, and it can get overwhelming when you look at them all. To make it easier, we’ve found what we feel are some of the best area rugs for office chairs.
Here’s what we’ll be discussing in this guide:
- Which features you should consider when choosing an area rug
- Our picks for the best area rugs for office chairs
- The good and the bad of each option
- Our overall top pick and why we like it
Let’s get started.
Features to Consider
One thing we always advise considering is the materials that went into any area rug. They will have one of the greatest impacts on how the rug looks, how much it costs, and any daily maintenance that will be involved.
Some materials, like polypropylene and nylon, are even good for those with allergies. That’s because they naturally repel allergens rather than harboring them like some other rugs might do.
And if what you’re looking for is something extra-soft to rest your feet on while you work, cotton and wool are popular choices. They’re also entirely natural, if that’s important to you.
Want a famously tough natural material? Then jute or sisal could be exactly what you need.
It can feel a bit scratchy, but you can expect those types of rugs to withstand daily wear and tear.
Because each material can bring various benefits to a rug, it’s never a bad idea to think about if you have a certain preference for a material.
If you have allergies, you might want to take a look at our guide to rugs for allergy sufferers here.
A rug’s toughness is something you’ll definitely want to think about if you’re going to use it in your office. With a desk resting on it, or a chair rolling over it all day, it will need to be strong so it doesn’t wear down easily.
The material and how it’s made will both contribute to how tough a rug is. Sometimes, a backing can help increase the rug’s longevity, too.
When you look at an area rug, make sure you examine the description to see if it mentions how durable it is. Many descriptions will give you a material and an idea of how long you can expect the rug to last.
Rugs that say they’re for high traffic areas are generally a wise pick when you’re looking for durability.
Depending on the type of floor you have in your home office, you might want to factor in the possibility of your rug slipping around. Since it’s likely that the last thing you want to have to do is constantly readjust a rug, looking into non-slip options is prudent.
It’s not necessarily as common, but there are some area rugs with built-in backs designed to prevent skidding. If they don’t have this special backing, you may want to purchase a separate pad to place your rug on to keep it from sliding around.
A rug’s pile height is how thick its fibers are, and therefore how tall it stands up. As a general rule, rugs with a greater pile height tend to feel better on your feet because they’re plusher.
But you likely don’t want your office chair sitting on a rug like this. Thicker fibers could get caught in your chair’s wheels.
For the purpose of resting an office chair on it, we recommend looking for rugs with a more practical low pile height. An extra bonus to these types of rugs is that they’ll also usually be low maintenance and easy to clean.
Of course, the look of a rug is also valid to think about. Although they have many utility purposes, the main reason for getting an area rug in the first place is usually to spruce up a space.
An area rug is truly a work of art. Because of this, they come in all shapes, sizes, colors, and patterns.
In many ways, this is the fun part. You’ll be able to look at various looks and decide what atmosphere you want your home office to promote.
Think about whether you have a favorite color palette, or if there’s a theme you want your office to follow. Then you can search for rugs that align with your design goals.
Best Area Rugs for Office Chairs
With this Caffey Floral Area Rug, you can add a comforting and organic atmosphere to your home office. The vivid flowers can make what might be a boring place into a mini-garden indoors.
A benefit to this option is that it comes in several color combinations. So if you like the look for the flowers, but not a particular color, you can find that same pattern in a color that hits the spot for you.
Furthermore, it resists stains and fading. If you’re the type of person who likes to sip on a coffee while you work, you won’t need to panic if you accidentally spill on your area rug.
- Pleasant and earthy floral pattern.
- Available in a few color combinations.
- Resists stains and fading.
- Jute backing helps protect your floor.
- Feels soft.
- It’s made from polypropylene, so it repels allergens, mold, and mildew.
- Does not have a non-slip backing, so you may need to purchase a rug pad.
If you’re looking for something to brighten your office without being distracting, this Unique Loom Lattice Moroccan Geometric Area Rug is a good option. The pattern on it is simple and unobtrusive, so it won’t overpower a room.
The short pile 0.33-inch pile height means it won’t snag in your chair’s wheels, either. Additionally, the polypropylene material will ensure it’s long-lasting and capable of withstanding stains and water spills.
- A friendly option for allergy sufferers.
- Resists water, stains, mold, and mildew.
- Available in a huge array of colors.
- Easy to clean.
- Some customers reported that it takes longer for the creases in this rug to work themselves out.
- You may need to purchase a non-slip pad to put underneath it.
Want to make it feel like you’re on vacation in your office? Consider adding the Striped Hand-Woven Jute Area Rug to your décor.
The jute fibers make it look like something you’d find in a tropical beach house. With some blue, copper, or white accents, you can truly reproduce the feeling of a luxurious beach right in your office.
Of course, the material is sturdy, too. You can expect to enjoy this rug for a long time.
- Tough material.
- Inspires a coastal or beachy mood.
- Hand-woven construction gives it a personal touch.
- The pile height isn’t too high, so your chair won’t sink into it.
- Easy cleaning.
- This rug tends to shed a bit, so you’ll need to vacuum it regularly.
The checkered pattern on this Ottomanson area rug is perfect for bringing some warmth with earthy tones to your office. Plus, since the checker pattern has a few different colors on it, it really opens up the palette of colors you can use to balance the decorating scheme.
For this reason, this rug would be a fun challenge to decorate around. If you’re into interior design, it could be exactly the challenge you’re looking for.
Beyond its unique look, it has non-slip backing built right in. You’ll be able to walk on or roll your chair on this rug without needing to worry about it sliding out from underneath you.
- Interesting checkered pattern.
- Has a built-in non-slip backing.
- Made from tough polypropylene.
- Low profile won’t get snag in your office chair.
- Cleaning is simple.
- Resists stains.
- Available in many different sizes.
- Doesn’t have many other color options to choose.
- Some customers reported a slight smell and needed to air out the rug at first.
The Barrera Southwestern Red Area Rug makes it possible for you to sprinkle some exotic spice into your office. The red is visually warm, and the intricate pattern calls desert expanses to mind.
This is the kind of rug you could pair well with some potted cactuses and beige or cream-colored furniture for a warm desert feel.
- Won’t get caught in your chair’s wheels.
- Low maintenance.
- Intricate and fascinating pattern.
- The polypropylene material will resist stains and mildew.
- Only available in one color.
- Customers reported the red is a bit brighter than in the pictures.
This visually arresting rug is perfect for bringing life and a bit of visual drama to a drab office. The Superior Modern Viking Collection Area Rug is bold, just like its name implies.
And it comes in a versatile range of colors, too. If the pattern appeals to you, you can find in a palette to suit many different settings.
- Feels soft.
- Attractive design.
- Comes in many different sizes and colors.
- The polypropylene gives it stain, mold, and mildew resistance.
- The low pile height won’t impede your office chair’s movement.
- You will likely need to purchase a pad to put underneath it.
If you’re looking for a rug that’s both soft and ornate-looking, this Landen Area Rug is a good choice. The pattern is Tibetan-inspired, and almost looks royal.
It’s made from 100% nylon, which is a durable, versatile, and easy to clean. This is a rug you can anticipate standing up to your daily wear and tear handily.
- Elegant Tibetan-inspired pattern.
- Comes in four color choices.
- Crafted from sturdy nylon.
- Easy to clean.
- Soft texture.
- You’ll want to put a rug pad underneath it to prevent sliding.
Do you like the look of stone floors and want them in your office without the hefty price? LaHome’s area rug, designed to look like marble, is a fantastic alternative.
It’s made from tough faux wool for some extra softness, and the back is skid-resistant. You won’t need to stop to readjust this rug constantly.
It’s also amazingly simple to clean. Unlike many other rugs, it’s machine washable, so you can just run it through your washer machine when you want to tidy up.
- Luxurious marble pattern mimics stone floors.
- Stays in place with non-slip backing.
- Tough faux wool material.
- Machine washable.
- Available in a few different color options.
- Comes in various shapes and sizes.
- Although it has non-slip backing, some customers reported it’s a little thin and would still benefit from a rug pad.
Out of all these options, we’d go with the Barrera Southwestern Red Area Rug. Aside from being consistently highly rated by customers, we like the warm colors.
It would be a blast to experiment with and see what kind of exotic decorating scheme we could come up with. This is the ideal rug for home offices in cold climates that want to create an atmosphere to warm up in.