An area rug is a quick and easy way to shine some your personality into your dining room. One common place to put one is right under your dining table, framing the place you sit.
The issue is, any rug you put underneath your dining table is at risk of spills and messes from dropped food. If it’s not up to the test, your rug can be quickly damaged and covered in gross-looking stains.
Fortunately, there are many area rugs made with these factors in mind. We created this guide to show you the best area rugs for under dining tables.
We’ll discuss the following:
- What sorts of features would make an area rug suitable for underneath a dining table
- The rugs we feel are the best ones for this purpose
- What makes each rug a good choice
- Our personal favorite option
Features to Consider
When you’re thinking about unrolling an area rug under your dining room table, one of the top qualities on your wish list should be durability. You don’t want to invest in an area rug that you have to replace every few months because it gets worn out and stained fast.
A rug that can endure chairs sliding around on top of it, stains, and crumbs, is one that can save you money in the long run, since you won’t need to buy a new one too soon. Most product descriptions will inform you how long you can estimate your purchase to last, as well as whether or not it’s resistant to stains.
Even the most careful people have accidents. More likely than not, your rug will be spilled on or have food dropped on it at some point.
When that happens, you’ll feel much less stressed if it’s easy to clean up. If you have to call a professional cleaner every time there’s a mess, it will quickly become expensive and not to mention inconvenient.
Like with toughness, most descriptions for rugs will let you know what kind of care goes into them. Make sure you take a look at that part so you can form an idea of how much time you’ll have to spend maintaining it.
An area rug is typically used as a decoration. Because of this, one of the deciding factors that makes you choose one over all the others will probably be how it looks.
It’s important that it blends in with your dining room’s style. You should ideally love the way your area rug ties it all together.
But colors also have another purpose, too. Some colors show dirt and stains more clearly.
As you look at area rugs, keep this in mind. If you live in a household with young children or pets, you may want to think about getting a darker-colored rug that can conceal messes better.
The pile height of a rug is how thick it is. Thicker rugs stand up higher off your floor.
Most people might spring at the opportunity to put a thick rug in their home. Walking on a thick rug can almost feel like getting a foot massage, after all.
But under your dining table, a thick rug might not be the best idea. That’s primarily because there’s more room for crumbs to bury themselves.
You would need to vacuum or clean the rug often to prevent crumbs from settling into the roots of the rug. If that doesn’t bother you, there’s no reason why you couldn’t still get a rug with a high pile height under your dining room table, but we’d personally recommend one that’s lower.
You can always put a pad underneath it to make it feel thicker.
Best Area Rugs for Under Dining Tables
This Mohawk area rug has a quaint and rustic look to it, with rich colors in every panel. If you get it in multi color, the panels will be several different colors, giving you a range of colors to accent with in your dining room.
However, if the multi color isn’t your style, there are other options, too. Regardless of the one you pick, the designs in each panel will do an excellent job of drawing the eye away from any crumbs or dirt.
Additionally, you don’t need to spend extra buying a pad for it. A latex backing underneath this Mohawk rug hugs the floor, holding it in place for you.
- Comes in a few colors.
- Plenty of sizes to order it in.
- Stabilized by the latex backing.
- Made from nylon that is stain-resistant.
- Cleaning it is easy.
- Some customers said the material isn’t as soft as they expected.
The Caffey Geometric Area Rug has a fun and graceful pattern reminiscent of what you’d find in a kaleidoscope. Plus, its darker background will hide dirt and messes pretty well.
You won’t need to pay to replace it anytime soon, either. It’s made from famously durable polypropylene.
You can safely expect that occasional spills won’t leave it permanently stained. And it will even resist fading from direct sunlight, which many rugs are susceptible to.
- Beautiful design.
- Available in various colors.
- Easy cleaning.
- Resists stains and fading from UV light.
- Doesn’t shed.
- Some customers reported it had a smell at first and needed to air out.
- Colors can vary slightly from in the pictures.
Colors on the Ovid Oriental Area Rug simply reek of warmth and bright blue skies. If you live in a place that’s cold most of the year, this could be the perfect way to make your house feel warm year-round.
It’s made from stain-resistant viscose. This material is often called faux silk, because it gives you the sleek softness of silk at a more affordable price point.
- Warm and intricate design.
- Resists stains.
- Feels very soft.
- Low pile height so food won’t get lost in the fibers when dropped.
- Because of its luster, it can potentially appear brighter or darker depending on which angle you look at it from.
A swirling flower and vine motif leads to the Superior Designer Pastiche Area Rug being perfect for garden and nature lovers. Alternative dark and light panels behind the flowers could work together to hide any forgotten messes.
Furthermore, it’s dependable. It can resist water and staining, so it will hold its beautiful colors for a long time.
- A few color choices to choose from.
- Sturdy and tough.
- Resistant to static, staining, moths, and water.
- The pattern can conceal dirt and messes.
- Upkeep is easy – just vacuum it regularly and spot clean.
- A few customers have said it can take longer for the creases and wrinkles to flatten.
Rugs like the Noble Sarouk Persian Floral Area Rug turn plain rooms into those worthy of royalty. The complex vine patterns and striking border look inarguably regal.
To top it off, it’s built to last. Day-to-day maintenance is easy, and cleanups from spills here and there are a breeze.
We like the green color for its earthiness, but it does come in a few other colors. All of them look stunning and will add an intricate flair to your dining room.
- Classic and ornate pattern.
- Available in a few colors and sizes.
- Resists staining and fading.
- May come with creases that need time to work themselves out.
With the Susan Oriental Area Rug, you dash brightness and class into your dining room. The oriental pattern is timeless and versatile enough to go well with a variety of themes.
Because it’s made completely from polypropylene, it can definitely stand up to the test of being in a dining room. Cleaning it is painless, and it will naturally protect itself from staining.
- Several color combinations and sizes.
- Resists stains, mold, and mildew.
- Elegant distressed look gives it a classy vintage flair.
- The polypropylene material is hypoallergenic.
- Some customers felt it was not as soft as they expected.
We’ve all seen the quatrefoil pattern before, and it’s especially beautiful on this Safavieh rug. It’s a trendy pattern that will make any dining room look gorgeous.
Because of the machine-woven polypropylene build, it’s a rug you can truly rely on. It won’t shed little pieces all over your dining room, and you won’t need to worry if you ever accidentally spill anything on it.
The medium pile height isn’t so high that you’ll constantly miss food in it, but it will feel plush underfoot. At just under half an inch, it’s soft while still being low maintenance.
- Medium pile height for softness.
- Low maintenance.
- Timeless quatrefoil design that goes with lots of décor styles.
- Several possible colors to get it in.
- Resistant to stains and mildew.
- The colors can vary a bit from the pictures.
If you’re looking to make your dining room feel like a warm welcome, the Jaidan Abstract Area Rug is the way to do it. The bold crimson, brown, and gray swirled throughout it looks warm and friendly.
It’s soft enough to run your hands over it, too. That’s because of its half-inch pile height, which is tall enough to offer your feet some soothing cushion while not being difficult to keep clean.
- Soft half-inch pile height.
- Warm and welcoming design.
- Available in a few different sizes and shapes.
- Resists staining.
- It may take some time for it to lay completely flat.
- Only one color option.
We’ve written about the Hartle Abstract Area Rug before, and feel it’s definitely worth mentioning again. The striped pattern on it looks a little bit like wood, which is perfect for homes that want the wood look affordably.
It’s a sturdy rug that you could use to warm up any room, including a dining room. Unlike some rugs, it’s also safe to use on a heated floor.
- Attractive and warm wood-like pattern.
- Can use it on a heated floor.
- Made from long-lasting polypropylene.
- Great option for houses with kids and pets.
- Easy to remove creases from.
- Simple to clean.
- Only comes in one color combination.
If what you want is a rug that combines both warmth and a floral design, then the Modern Burgundy Area Rug is a great pick. It has vines and flowers woven gracefully throughout it, with a diamond pattern faintly in the background.
We especially love the red color, but it does come in a blue color if you would prefer it. Either way, it would look gorgeous in a variety of homes.
Furthermore, the colors won’t fade very quickly. This is a rug you’ll be able to appreciate for a long time to come.
- Bright colors that won’t fade.
- Beautiful floral and vine pattern.
- Can fit in a variety of decorating schemes.
- Resists staining and dirt.
- It can take some time to work the creases out of it.
Are you searching for a rug that perfectly captures the feel of a garden in your home? The Janell Floral Area Rug might be what you’re searching for.
While the middle part of the rug is beige, it’s tastefully bordered by various plant-inspired designs. You’ll find vines, flower petals, ferns, and grass-like patterns in the exquisite border.
What’s great about these patterns being on the border is they won’t be hidden under your dining table. They’ll be around the edges of the rug, easy to see and on display for your guests and family.
- Stunning border with plant patterns.
- Will not stain quickly.
- The colors won’t fade from sunlight.
- Doesn’t shed.
- Feels plush.
- The jute backing will not scratch wood floors.
- Easy to clean and antimicrobial.
- Some customers said it had a slight odor at first that faded in time.
If we were designing our own dining room, we’d choose to put the Janell Floral Area Rug beneath the table. One thing we really like is how most of the design is in the border – the blank space in the middle seems perfect for putting a table in.
And with the table in place, you’ll still be able to admire the beautiful pattern on the edge. We also love how easy to clean it is, and that the colors won’t fade anytime soon.