Are you considering to install interlocking foam mats in your basement? Then this is the ultimate guide for you! In this article, we explain why interlocking foam mats are a great idea for your basement flooring, and what considerations you should have when shopping! Finally, we give you a detailed list of our recommendations!
Table of Contents
Why Interlocking Foam Mats are a Good Choice
When it comes to home flooring, basements are usually thought of last. But if you want your basement to be inviting, then improve on the flooring. One basement flooring that has been getting more and more popular recently is interlocking foam mats. Here’s why they are a good choice:
They are Durable and Easy to Install
You don’t need to hire anyone to do the installation for you, as it can easily be done by yourself. There are various tutorials available online, and besides, it is quite intuitive. In addition, interlocking foam mats, when maintained properly, can last pretty long!
There are Different Designs Available
There is no shortage of themes and colors available. This is great especially since they interlocking foam mats can easily be removed too, in case you want to switch themes or colors.
They are Quiet and Soft to the Feet
Unlike other types of basement flooring, interlocking foam mats are quiet to walk on. But also, they are very soft and comfortable to walk, sit, and lay on.
They are Easy to Clean
Because the foam is non-absorbent, you can easily clean it by using wet wipes. In addition, if there is any moisture that’s trapped under the tiles, you can simply remove them, dry the moisture, and put the tiles back on.
Best Interlocking Foam Mats for Basement Flooring
There are endless possibilities as far as what you can do with these interlocking tiles for protective flooring from BalanceFrom. It functions very well as a basement flooring, but with its ¾ inch thickness, it can be quite a comfortable cushion for spine, hips, knees, and elbows in case you want to use it as gym flooring too.
In the package, you will 24 tiles, each coming with 2 end borders, which can cover up to 96 sq. ft. of flooring.
BalanceFrom is quite a well-known brand of foam mats that offers a two-year warranty, which is proof of the high quality of this product.
- Considerably thicker than many other brands of the same product at ¾ inch.
- The mats are moisture-resistant, making them easy to clean and maintain.
- Made of double-sided high-density EVA foam with non-slip surfaces.
- Some customers have commented that the patterns may not be aesthetically appealing but good enough for a basement flooring.
You would be delighted with this interlocking foam mat from Innhom, made of high-density EVA foam that guarantees a reliable performance, and long life. They are not only comfortable but they also really good at protecting your hard floor, with its 0.4-inch thickness making it sturdy enough while providing a cushioned space.
Each package contains a total of twelve tiles, six of black and gray, and 24 end borders, giving it a seamless look once installed on your basement floor.
- The tiles are waterproof, making them really easy to clean with as simple as a damp cloth and mild soap if preferred.
- Tiles are easy to cut to fit any floor size.
- Easy to assemble since the tiles are lightweight and can connect and come apart easily when they need to be transported.
- May not be great for a gym flooring though with heavy equipment as the tiles may not be thick enough for such falls.
These interlocking foam mats from Doobee are a great way to decorate your basement’s hard floors efficiently but at the same time also minding its quality, comfort, and style.
Each package contains nine tiles with wood design, covering a total space area of 3 x 3 feet. It comes from a well-known brand of home goods that come in creative designs.
- The tiles are designed to resemble wood, giving your basement a natural vibe.
- The tiles are made from high quality, premium foam which means they are thick, durable, and easy to clean.
- Besides basement flooring, these tiles can be used in other parts of your home too: gym, nursery, kids’ playroom, and basically anywhere else.
- Each set can only cover small spaces, so multiple sets need to be bought to cover entire basement flooring.
What makes this option quite a popular choice is the variety of designs available for you to choose from. There’s dark wood, light wood, and mahogany, among others. Additionally, you have the option to buy six or twelve, depending on how big the surface area you are trying to cover.
- Installation is extremely easy, taking just minutes to complete.
- Perfect for your basement, but can also be installed as flooring for your bedroom, playroom, gym, and many more.
- Comfortable but also aesthetically appealing with its classic faux wood finish.
- Rather thin at ⅜ inch.
The Clevr Interlocking foam mat comes in at least five different design variants, all giving your basement a classic, elegant look: dark oak, granite print, light oak, sea haze grey, white wood grain.
It functions very well as protective flooring, since the tiles are durable, flexible, and absorbs shock pretty impressively, making this option ideal not only for your basement but also for your garage, playrooms, home office, and or even your kitchen.
The materials are safe and of high quality too: BPA free, non-toxic, phthalates-free.
- The tiles are not only water-resistant, but they are also noise-resistant, making your basement a great place to play an instrument and other loud activities.
- Versatile, can be installed in different parts of the house, with designs that take the appearance of classy and beautiful flooring.
- Some customers have found the surfaces rather slippery.
With a thickness of ¾ inch, this interlocking foam mat from Prosource is probably one of the thickest options there are, making this an ideal choice if you are flooring a basement with heavy equipment and stuff that might dent other thinner floor mats.
Besides your basement, you may also use this as flooring for your home gym, fitness studios, garage, and basement. They do not only protect your floor, but they also reduce noise.
- The tiles are extra thick and with non-skid texture for workouts and play area.
- Each package can cover up to 24 square feet.
- There are three different options available as far as theme and colors: black, blue, or grey.
- When setting this up, extra attention is needed for its interlocking feature, since they may not lock that easily.
The protective features of this interlocking foam mat from BEAUTYOVO ensure that your basement is provided with excellent cushioning for both yourself and whatever stuff you may have in your basement. It protects your hard floor from scratches, scruffs, and dents.
The tiles are cut precisely, making the pieces fit nicely. Besides the tiles, the package also comes with 24 end borders, giving your flooring a nice, seamless look.
- The ½ inch tiles are made of premium EVA foam, which is soft, flexible, long-lasting, noise-reducing, and shock-absorbing.
- The tiles are water-resistant, which makes it easy to clean and maintain.
- The tiles are safe for babies too, materials and manufacturing have passed US CPSIA, ASTM, and EU EN71-1-2-3 safety requirements.
- When fresh out of the box, there may be an off-putting smell from the tiles but it goes away after being used for some time.
These interlocking foam mats from Yes4All are extra-thick at ½ inch, anti-slip, non-toxic, and shock-absorbent.
Besides being all those, they are also very easy to assemble and detach, requiring only minutes.
They are perfect to install on your basement or your gym floor, protecting not only your floor but whatever equipment or stuff you may have.
- Tiles have durable and textured non-slip surfaces, which are perfect for when you have some stuff to do or move around in your basement or when you work out in your gym.
- There are three different options, size-wise, depending on how large the are area you are covering is: 12 square feet, 16 square feet, and 36 square feet. Different colors are also available.
- The edges may need to be readjusted.
The interlocking foam mats we have featured here are all great for your basements, but if we have to choose one favorite, then it would have to be the Interlocking Tiles for Interlocking Tiles for Protective Flooring from BalanceFrom. They are thickest and the most durable among all the options, which is what you need for a basement flooring.