Are you looking for the best MTG sleeves for shuffling?
There are so many choices out there, it can be easy to get a little lost. We’ll help you find the best options for your Magic: the Gathering deck in this list.
We’ll be covering:
- What makes a good card sleeve
- Our picks for the best shuffling sleeves
- The pros and cons to each of the sleeves on the list
Let’s jump right in.
Table of Contents
What do you need in a card sleeve?
Not all card sleeves are created equally.
Because your Magic cards are an investment, you’re going to want to ensure they have the best protection. Unfortunately, shuffling your cards can damage them pretty quickly.
A quality sleeve will safeguard your cards from this wear and tear. So what should you look for in one?
Some of the things that make a sleeve a cut above the rest when it comes to shuffling are:
- Non-slip texture
No one likes buying sleeves, only to have them tear after a couple games.
You want your sleeves to last time after time, especially if you’ve paid for customized ones or high-end ones.
Tougher sleeves will stand up to repeated shuffling, which is vital in a deck that uses popular strategies like tutoring. Additionally, sturdy sleeves won’t bend at the corners or split at the sides, exposing your cards to harm.
Of course, you’ll need to be able to get a good grip on your sleeves when you shuffle them.
There’s nothing quite as annoying as when you’re shuffling cards and they go flying onto the floor. Fortunately, many sleeves make up for this with non-slip material that makes it easy to hold your cards while shuffling them.
Last but certainly not least, there’s the cost.
Many people put a lot of money into their decks. It’s true you want to protect them from harm, but generally no one wants to buy sleeves that are overpriced.
It’s important, then, that the sleeves you get are affordable. This is especially the case when you’re using a casual deck, or you like to change your sleeves often.
Best MTG Sleeves for Shuffling
Do any research on sleeves, and you’ll find the name Dragon Shield at the top of anyone’s list. The reason for that is that they make legendarily durable sleeves – and these ones are a testament to that reputation.
- Box can be used to store around 75 cards
- The lid of the box comes with a label if you use it for a deck
- You’ll get a couple extra sleeves in case one of them tears
- Easy to grip for shuffling
- More expensive
- Sleeves are a little tighter, so it may be difficult to double sleeve
One of the most famous names in MTG sleeves is Ultra Pro. These ones are especially great for beginners or bulk purchases, because on top of resisting bent corners, they’re incredibly affordable.
- Inexpensive, so you can buy them in bulk
- Corners don’t bend easily
- High clarity to see the cards inside
- Non-slip so you won’t drop them while shuffling
- Slightly tighter fit, so you may not be able to double sleeve
- Material is thinner, so sides might split over time
What makes these TitanShield sleeves so unique is their dual texture. This provides an easy surface for your fingers to grip onto, so your cards won’t scatter whenever you need to shuffle your deck.
- Dual anti-slip texture makes handling your cards a breeze
- Non-reflective material, so it’s easy to read the text on each card
- Thick material to protect cards from scratches or spills
- Color options are more limited than with other brands
It’s no surprise that Ultra Pro would appear on this list again. These Pro-Matte sleeves are amazingly smooth for effortless shuffling, and built with an extra-opaque material to better conceal the backs of cards.
- Material on the reverse side completely conceals the backs of cards
- Matte material on the front reduces glare so you can comfortably read text
- Can split over time with frequent shuffling
- Glare-reducing front can limit the shininess of your foils
If you asked us for our personal suggestion from this list, we’d go with the Dragon Shield Matte Black Sleeves.
It’s true that they’re a little bit more expensive than the other ones, but they are well worth the price. They’re incredibly sturdy, and they’re easy to hold onto while you’re shuffling.
Furthermore, they’re available in a wide variety of colors if Matte Black isn’t to your liking. You can even get sleeves with gorgeous dragon artwork on the back that will undoubtedly impress your friends.